Names of Oromos: Meanings and Origins
Oromo names are made up from the following aspects:
* Inferred names
* Physical features at birth
* Behavioral features at birth
* Names of animals
* Names associated with farming work
* Names associated with farming inputs
* Names of plants
* Amount of cattle owned
* Names referring to the season
* Politically related names
* Names of grandfather
* Names of grandmother
* Names of great grandparents
* Names of Oromo's days of the month
* Names of birthdays
* Names that show the emotion of happiness
* Names of the place one is born
* Names of trees
* Name of twins
* Name of clans
The following are 140 Oromo names with their meaning for girls:
1. AansiOne who is close to you.
2. AbadanOne who is never without you.
3. AnnaneeMilk which is valued highly in Oromo tradition.
5. AraariOne who brings peace and is at peace.
6. ArkaniOne who can be seen from far.
7. AtinaafYou belong to me.
8. AyyantuOne who is always fortunate/lucky.
9. BaatiMoon which symbolizes luminosity or being bright.
11. BifaniOne that is beautiful.
12. BiftuSunshine which symbolizes shining naturally bright.
13. BiifleeOne with a quick mind and youthful.
14. BililleeAccording to Oromo history, it is the name of a beautiful Oromo woman who once lived.
16. BiqiltuuOne who grows from strong roots to the height of their potential.
18. BirilleeThe center point of a bright light which symbolizes significance and rarity.
19. BoharsituOne who brings joy and entertainment.
20. BoonsineOne who is proud and is a pride to others.
21. BoonaniOne who is proud and is a pride to others.
22. BoontuOne who is proud and is a pride to others.
23. BooniOne who is proud and is a pride to others.
24. BooneOne who is proud and is a pride to others.
25. BoonsituOne who is proud and is a pride to others.
26. BosoneeRainforest which symbolizes strong roots and abundance.
27. CaaltuBeing the best of the best.
28. ChaaltuBeing the best of the best.
29. CaaliBeing the best of the best.
30. ChaaliBeing the best of the best.
35. DagaleeThe bond that unites.
36. DansituOne that is joyful and pleasant to be with.
37. DansooleOne that is joyful and pleasant to be with.
40. DinqiiOne who is amazing.
41. DinqiseeOne who is amazing.
42. DinqisiiftuOne who is amazing.
44. DumbusheeOne who is adorable or cute.
45. DureettiOne who is wealthy.
46. DursineeOne who is always first.
47. EebbiseeOne who is blessed.
48. ElellaanDecorative shells used traditionally by Oromo’s, symbolizes beauty.
49. FaantoliOne who has a happy life ahead of them.
50. FaayaArtistically exquisite beauty.
51. FaayoArtistically exquisite beauty.
52. FaayaniArtistically exquisite beauty.
53. FayyiseeOne with long life or longevity.
54. FeenetOne who is liked.
55. FeenanOne who is liked.
57. FilanThe chosen one.
58. FileeraThe chosen one.
59. FiraanbooniOne who is proud of their family.
61. GaraatooStomach which symbolizes the heart in the Oromo language.
62. GoobaneMoon shaped symbolizing strength and guidance.
64. HawwiTo wish, wishful thinking, wishing.
65. HawwaniTo wish, wishful thinking, wishing.
66. HawwineetTo wish, wishful thinking, wishing.
67. HawwineeTo wish, wishful thinking, wishing.
68. HawwinaanTo wish, wishful thinking, wishing.
71. IfaniiOne who illuminates brightly.
72. IftuOne who shines brightly.
73. IjakooMy eye, my everything.
74. JaalataniOne who is loved.
75. JaalanneOne who is loving.
76. JeeynittiOne who is heroic.
77. JiruuMeaning life or my life.
78. KookeetiWhat is mine is yours.
79. KullaniA unique plant that is traditionally important for Oromo’s.
80. KuulleA unique plant that is traditionally important for Oromo’s.
81. KumiiOne that lacks nothing and has everything in abundance.
82. KumeeOne that lacks nothing and has everything in abundance.
83. KumaleeOne that lacks nothing and has everything in abundance.
84. LagashanName given to a river in Oromia.
85. LalistuA musical and joyful person.
86. LeellisanA musical and joyful person.
87. LelliseeA musical and joyful person.
88. LammiOne who belongs.
89. LaancaaLong grass, symbolizing strong roots and growth.
90. LeellooSomething special that is admired.
91. LeensaOne who is always seen.
92. LubbuuOne who is heartfelt and soulful.
93. MaashooA type of light that is held with high esteem within Oromo culture, it also symbolizes guidance and luminosity.
94. MadaalanOne who is unique or specific.
95. MagalleDark brown or black which is a highly prized skin tone in Oromo culture.
96. MarsaniOne who will always be around and is protective.
97. MeetoAccording to Oromo tradition, Oromo had two sons Boorana and Bareentuma, their mothers name was Meeto.
99. Mi’eessanOne who is endearing or sweet.
100. MiyeessanOne who is endearing or sweet.
101. MidhaayduOne who is beautiful.
103. Mii’oytuuOne who exudes innocence and is sweet.
104. Mii’aOne who exudes innocence and is sweet.
105. MijuuOromo cultural milk drink that is prepared and drank during weddings.
106. MirkaniiOne who has confidence in themselves.
107. MirkaneeysanOne who has confidence in themselves.
108. MirqeeOne that is full of energy and pleasant to be with.
109. MirqaniOne that is full of energy and pleasant to be with.
112. NaaduraMeaning: you are my first.
113. NaafaayeMeaning: you were created beautifully for me.
114. NaafiBelonging to me.
115. NaafisYou belong to me.
117. NaalubbuMy soul.
118. NaanaatiOne who is goodhearted and feels emotion for all.
119. NaanahiOne who is goodhearted and feels emotion for all.
120. NaanahanOne who is goodhearted and feels emotion for all.
121. Naannooyye A cultural Oromo hairstyle given to girls of a certain age.
122. NaasabbataYou are my sabbatta (a traditional belt worn by Oromo women) which symbolizes the bond of mother and child.
123. Naasi’uumeYou were made for me.
124. NaasihiYou and I together make one.
125. NaataateShe belongs to me and is ideal for me.
126. NabiraYou are close to me.
127. NaantiYou are close to me.
128. NadhiiThe reason honey is sweet.
132. OnneetooThe dearest one to me, my heart and love.
133. QalbiseeOne who is careful and alert.
134. QananiiOne who is prized highly and cared for.
135. QanxuuOne who is playful yet to the point.
136. QantuuOne who is playful yet to the point.
137. SifileI chose you.
138. SinaafI belong to you.